May 23, 2010

Rafael Mendez - Flight of the Bumble Bee & Mexican Hat Dance



My fobi is getting better! I managed to save a bee today that came into the kitchen.
The wonderful thing about is that I wanted to save it rather than killing it!
I used to have a terrifying feeling of 'Kill!' whenever I HAD to kill a bug.
Disappointing to discover such nasty characteristic of one self. I am not perfect after all.

In the 1960s, Nobel Prize winning zoologist, Karl von Frisch, proposed that honeybees use dance (the "waggle dance") as a coded message to guide other bees to new food sources.  
In the new research using harmonic radar, scientists have now tracked the flight of bees that had attended a "waggle dance" and found that they flew straight to the vicinity of the feeding site, as predicted by von Frisch.
The tracks allowed the scientists to determine how accurately bees translate the dance code into successful navigation, and showed that they correct for wind drift even when en route to destinations they have never visited before.

So those clever little honeybees have turned out to be even smarter than we thought, so I new why I was fobic.

No comments: